GPS: 49°49'25.741"N 17°42'45.479"E – map
CHAPEL DEDICATED TO THE INFANT JESUS OF PRAGUE
In the first half of the 19th century, slate began to be extracted in Zálužné and in the surrounding area, and the local mines were one of the largest underground slate mines in Silesia. The work here was not easy, and given the then technological level of underground mining, especially as regards security measures, accidents were more than frequent. Some of them even fatal.
In Raab's mines in the valley of the Horník brook, six miners died in the 70s and 80s of 19th century. More fatal accidents were recorded both in the large Nittmann's Mine and in Weisshuhn's mines. The last known victim of slate mining is the owner of one of the local smaller mines Mar Augustin, who perished in 1891.
As a memorial to these and all other victims of slate mining, the village had a chapel built in 1897 dedicated to the Infant Jesus of Prague. This very dedication was somewhat rare in the local area, which was inhabited almost exclusively by German population. In addition to these fatalities, miners very often sustained a number of less serious accidents. However, their victims often carried the consequences for the rest of their lives. And that was the reason why the chapel was dedicated to the Infant Jesus of Prague, to whom people prayed for centuries for healing physical injuries and disabilities. The founding of the chapel in Zálužné, a memorial to those who died during slate mining, was and is exceptional in Silesia, and it took place only after many centuries. As a memorial to deceased miners, there was also another chapel built in the middle of the 17th century– the Chapel of St. Anne above the village of Horní Údolí near Zlaté Hory. Unfortunately, it has not survived to the present day.
INFANT JESUS OF PRAGUE
It is a 47 cm tall statue carved from wood probably covered with canvas with the surface modelled from coloured wax. The statue comes from Spain, where it was made probably around the mid-16th century. Legend tells that Jesus miraculously revealed himself to a monk, who then sculpted the statue from what he had seen. In 1628, the statue was given to the Carmelite Church in Prague by widowed Polyxena of Lobkowicz, saying, "Honour this image and you shall never want". Even today, every day the statue is visited by hundreds of people from all around the world. Allegedly, many who had prayed to the statue were blessed by God. People are coming here praying for help, healing, peace, and some even for a child. Some come back here to thank God for answering their prayers.
16. 12. 2017
Day temperatures 0/4°C, around 1000m -4°C.
Night temperatures /°C.