GPS: 49°48'53.938"N 17°42'57.240" – map
At the beginning of the 20th century, there was a new bridge built in Zálužné with a financial contribution by the municipality of Nové Těchanovice. In order to obtain the funds, the municipal council decided to chop down and sell wood from the local forest, which grew around this very stop on the nature trail. To get more money, they also decided to start extracting slate on the resulting forest clearing.
The land was leased to the innkeeper Franz Pollak, who had the so-called "Municipal Adit" dug there. It is about 130 m long with a chamber on its end. In the place where the adit reached the deposit, there are two other adits running on the right and left, both with their own raises.
During World War II, the mine had also another purpose. Like other tunnels, this also served as a refuge for the local population. In 1938, members of the so-called Green Guard – who were young men from German families who at the time of mobilization refused to enlist in the Czechoslovakian army – hid here. In 1945, its corridors and chambers once again became a refuge for many hundreds of local people from the approaching front line. They even took their cattle and the most necessary things with them. The local German residents also hid and walled up a considerable amount of their valuable property in here. However, it was all lost after the war, and the local people have found nothing more but several trinkets and military equipment.
Nové Těchanovice is one of the oldest villages in the area. Originally, it was an agricultural village with many vast, up to 30 hectare large estates. Extraction of slate began here around 1850, when "during reeve Engel, a slate quarry was opened near the border with Hoferbam, near the land adjacent to the estates of the farmers of Lhotka". After 1880, the former reeve's house and the slate mine was bought by Josef Gromes. Then, in a time of relative wealth and prosperity, the majority of estates and buildings in the vicinity were covered with slate, and its exploration and production brought great profit.
Gromes then also bought the estate No. 46 standing in the woods nearby the slate quarry just opposite the Hanzl mill. The building was rebuilt into the seat of his family and of his company. The estate also included a nearby stables, blacksmith's shop, and houses for workers (berghaus No.47 on plot No. 83).
In 1900, the mines and the neighbouring property were purchased for a judicially determined price of 4,500 gulden by Franz Pollak, owner of the inn in Nové Těchanovice building No. 8.
Later, he also opened the so-called Pollak's adit near the Moravice river. Moreover, he was also the owner of a quarry in Hornigsgrund in Zálužné. The Pollak's adit remained in operation until the end of World War II. In May 1945, he was interned in the labour camp Vítkov, where he died in the spring of 1946 at the age of 73. After the war, the Pollak's adit was first owned by Jan Řihák, who himself later worked there as a technician. The mine remained in operation until 1972. The cemetery near the church in Nové Těchanovice houses the grave of the mother of entrepreneur Carl Weisshuhn, who used to live near the mill in Zálužné in the no-longer-standing berghaus No. 11, which was also the first seat of Weisshuhn's company between 1867 and 1870.
NOVÉ TĚCHANOVICE – VLČEK'S CHAPEL
This chapel is covered by the last extracted roofing slate in the Nízký Jeseník. The roofing slate was cut and shaped in the slate mine Nové Těchanovice-Lhotka by Miloslav Vlček, one of the last of the old masters splitters. The slate was mined and processed in September 2010.
26. 9. 2017
Day temperatures 15/19°C, around 1000m 5°C.
Night temperatures /°C.